Thursday 7 November 2013

Kevyn Aucoin Makeover

Hey! Today's post is all about a Kevyn Aucoin makeover I had last week at Space NK.

Kevyn Aucoin is a brand I hadn't previously heard of, but while I was in Space NK the other weekend, I read a sign saying one of their makeup artists would be visiting for one day and offering complimentary makeovers, so of course I said sign me up!


So this is the look Beki gave me! Sorry for the bad lighting, I forgot how dark it would be when the clocks went back...

When I arrived, I was offered a complimentary glass of champagne (making me feel pampered already!) and we discussed what kind of look I wanted to go for. Since I was planning on going out that evening, we opted for a glamorous look.

She started with  a combination of the Sensual Skin Tinted Balm (£38 here) and Sensual Skin Enhancer (£38 here) as a base. These gave a very natural finish to my skin, which I liked but would usually prefer a higher coverage for a night look.

For my eyes, I had a jade smokey eye (which has photographed greyer unfortunately) using Eye Pencil Primatif (£21 here) in Defining green all over the lid and blended into the lower lash line, and then Black Matte Eyeshadow (£24 here) and Loose Shimmer Shadow (£23 here) in Jade lightly dusted over the centre of the lid for depth and definition. Finally for my lashes, she used the Essential Mascara (£26 here).

Then it was onto blusher and bronzer, to add definition to my face. Beki contoured my cheekbones first using the Celestial Bronzing Veil (£38 here) in Tropical Days. The blusher was a cream one in the shade Liquifuschia, which looks terrifying in the pan but applies lovely (she also applied it to my lips, I love a good multi-tasking product!). I can't find it online so I have a feeling it may have been discontinued, but potentially still available at some counters? And to complete the look, a light dusting of the Celestial Powder (£34.50 here) in Candlelight, across the tops of my cheekbones and down the centre of my face using the Large Fan brush (£48 here).

I mention this brush particularly, because I basically fell in love with it. The shape is just so different to anything I had seen before, and had what I swear are the world's softest bristles. I can imagine applying powder with the to be an absolute dream.

Apparently all of Kevyn Aucoin's brushes are handmade so I guess this explains the hefty price tag, but I still simply can't justify so much on one brush! And so I'm on the lookout for a dupe; maybe this one by Laura Mercier, or this one by Smashbox - but I'll have to see what their bristles are like first!

I managed to restrain myself from making an extravagant (and expensive bankrupting) purchase, but I definitely picked up a few new makeup tips!

Have you ever tried Kevyn Aucoin?

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment